Monday 14 September 2009

A way of life disappears with smoke

I am not a big alcohol drinker, and I have never smoked in my life, as I find smoking tobacco to be a filthy, expensive and pointless addiction. If I had to stop drinking alcohol for the rest of my life, it wouldn't bother me. I dislike a smoky atmosphere anywhere, though with the smoking ban, they should have segregated pubs, for a smoking and non-smoking area, or fitted extractor fans to remove lingering smoke.

The local pub in villages are now dying off, because of several factors. The recession which we are currently going through is a cause. Another factor is working men's clubs where it has always been cheaper, but chiefly I suspect, buying alcohol cheaply en masse from their local shops/supermarkets which have special offers. The way things are going, there will be many more local pub closures in the next few years, to the extent that the local pub will eventually become a thing of the past.

1 Comments:

Blogger AS-4-L said...

"they should have segregated pubs, for a smoking and non-smoking area"

They have...it's called "outside" and "inside" :) The smoking ban is the only good thing this government has done. It doesn't seem to be impacting pubs too badly, and I'd say that cheap booze in supermarkets and chain pubs has probably had a bigger impact. Maybe exacerbated by the smoking ban.

Smoking in pubs is one of those things you'll tell children about when you're older...they won't even be able to imagine a world where you used to smoke inside! It's like the classic Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet" where a passenger on the plane is carrying a gun in a holster on their belt. A gun! On a plane!

The pub industry is suffering now for sure, many are closing and it is sadly the locals and not the chains, but all-in the smoking ban isn't the sole cause and I think the smoking ban is a good idea. Maybe one that the industry is looking to make a scapegoat from (many small pubs are closing as they can't afford the beer and the rent that just rises in price all the time and they are tied into set contracts and are not allowed to buy from elsewhere). I know I much prefer the smokeless atmosphere even if you do have to break some eggs.

15 September 2009 at 00:08  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home