Saturday 20 March 2010

What does school learn you?

I very, very rarely quote anybody else on here. Why should I? Nobody quotes anything I ever say or write. However, I found a funny quote from Mark Twain some time back... "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education" - and there is a huge amount of truth in that. I have learned a lot more since I left school then when I was there..... I don't think school really prepares you for life after you leave, and the more I find out in life, the less I know. When you are fed up with learning, you are either fed up with life or dead. Talking of which, a man last Thursday returned a library book called "Quatermass and the Pit" by Nigel Kneale which should been brought back in 1965. I still have one which from Secondary School which should have been returned on Thursday 16th November 1989, so I have about 25 years to go to beat him. I didn't steal it. I just forgot about it and found it years later. I also watched Kes on ITV3 on Thursday night. If they had showed that in Hollywood they would have had to have had subtitles! There no need for special effects, extras, histrionics, dramatisation or bullshit... it just captured working-class life in a northern England mining town perfectly. What I thought was the bird represented his escape from the pit..... and then it was killed.. and that was his destiny.. a life down the coal mine and drudgery etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home