Friday, 26 March 2010

An American Surname?

Last week, of course, was St Patrick's Day. As I stated, I have no Irish ancestry as far as I know of. I have traced the family tree of my maternal Grandmother, who was born in 1917, on her dad's side back to 1727 and have got to Birstall, which is six miles south of Leeds. Her mum's side, which I have traced back to 1803 so far, come from near York.

About six years ago, I was sat in an Internet cafe, and two men were talking about their surname history. One of them said "I have got an American surname". I thought "Whaaaat? An American surname? How can you have? Does your lineage go back to the Sioux Indians?". Then it turned out his surname was Hatfield, the same as a place near Doncaster!

Unless Hatfield meant that he had some relations who lives in America, or were born in America and came over to the UK, and he didn't explain himself properly, I find his statement bizarre, as, apart from the Indians, the USA is mainly made up of immigrants, largely from England, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Mexico, Germany, Russia and Scandinavia.

1 Comments:

Blogger Adelaide Dupont said...

Juliana Hatfield is very American, and she is a pop star from the 1990s.

26 March 2010 at 09:34  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home