Thursday, 7 January 2010

Generosity with some drugs - Stinginess with others

I have noticed that it is very easy to obtain anti-depressants from your local GP, if you want them. I have never done this, being generally a very honest person, but I would imagine that if I walked into a GP's room, saying that I was feeling low, unmotivated, couldn't be bothered to get out of bed on a morning or to get washed or to shave, or to eat, I would readily be offered, or even given, a prescription for anti-depressants.

Yet, if I went to the same GP complaining of concentration span problems, or attention difficulties, and asked for Adderall, or Ritalin, to try out, I would be refused. I wonder why. I am puzzled why they give anti-depressants out so easily and readily, yet refuse drugs such as Adderall or Ritalin, or are extremely reluctant to prescribe them to someone.

Concentration span problems, or Attention difficulties can be just as devastating as depression. Both can hinder the sufferers life, yet it doesn't appear that way in the medical professions eyes. Are they afraid that someone with attention span problems would take an overdose? If someone is severely depressed, they are more likely, I would have thought, to take an overdose of the tablets that they are being so readily prescribed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home